This is a high-level guide for those looking to see what it will take to retile a shower. This is not for showers that do not yet exist, and require a shower membrane to be installed. Tiling showers is not a beginner DIY project, so the guidance of someone who is experienced in home remodeling would be a good idea.
- Matt Buffett
Andy was very helpful in the process of picking out and installing new floors for our home. He was patient with us as we went back and forth trying t... read more - 9/03/2020
- Alison Cartwright
Andy and the team at Builders went over and above our expectations for service and delivery of all our project needs.We give them the highest recommen... read more - 8/10/2020julia manfredini
Great service, super fast responses with knowledgeable staff that go above and beyond. Flooring selection is extensive and the final product is immacu... read more - 7/02/2020
- Rayna Vogel
As a local designer I find Builders Interiors to be a great one stop shop for all my flooring and tile needs! I've been working with Andy for many yea... read more - 5/07/2020
- David Cooper
My wife and I are now retired designer/builders, but we have worked with Ty and his wife Teresa for twenty years, since before they even officially op... read more - 3/05/2020Nathan H.
Great experience working with Andy and the crews at Builders Interiors. They did some carpet, flooring and countertops at my new place. Great products... read more - 3/03/2020
- Samantha Roland
"These guys are the best. Not only smart advice in their showroom, but they were fast, professional and came in at half the price of everyone else. ... read more - 12/18/2019Jennifer Williams
Andy with Builders Interiors was referred to us by a local friend. We were looking to give our kitchen and master bathroom a facelift, and were very i... read more - 10/22/2019
- Payal K.
Thanks to Ky from Builder Interiors who took our review seriously and stepped up to fix our issues and worked on the refund. I hope, in the future, th... read more - 8/03/2019Catherine Chen
I was looking for Boen hardwood floor and I got two quotes, one from Builders Interiors, one from another Seattle dealer. Builder Interiors totally be... read more - 5/12/2019
- L Swanson
I live in a condo and needed a lot of assistance getting my flooring needs met (think sound issues, specific materials, etc.). Kody was an huge suppo... read more - 4/18/2019
- Tanya Huber
Fantastic service, design, selection and execution. All the installers are easy to get along with and do great work. Ty and Teresa are my favorite a... read more - 1/29/2019
- Lina W.
Builders Interiors provides the best customer service anyone can ask for. They were really fast installing and always on time. I had the master bathr... read more - 11/04/2018
- Ali F.
My experience with this company was very good. Reeves was my sales associate. We wanted real hardwood flooring in our bedrooms. She was involved in m... read more - 7/09/2018Field Cady
We had an excellent experience. Jenny was super nice and helpful, and helped us put together a job on a tight time schedule. The result was beautifu... read more - 6/12/2018
- Samantha Roland
These guys are the best. Not only smart advice in their showroom, but they were fast, professional and came in at half the price of everyone else. T... read more - 6/12/2018
- Svetlana S.
I did some small job back in 2012 and I was happy with the experience. Wanted to change the countertops, went to numerous places offering so called ge... read more - 4/11/2018Marijana R.
We are more than pleased with excellent customer service and care as well as installation. We had hard wood floors put in and the whole experience was... read more - 10/24/2017
- Heidi B.
Ty and Teresa Mortenson have been very helpful on three different projects at our house. We have used their team for a new bathroom tile shower proje... read more - 7/24/2017
- Daryl H.
The sales person was professional but we hit a few snags. We were trying to coordinate the floor install with a water heater replacement but it was ha... read more - 9/17/2016Jan C.
Andy is very professional and a pleasure with whom to work. He met every deadline and exceeded my expectations in terms of courtesy and consideration.... read more - 9/07/2016
- Marsha Roderick
I couldn't be happier with the service my project received! Carpet and vinyl flooring was removed and Acacia hardwood was installed in approximately 1... read more - 6/12/2016Oleg Malamura
This place has a huge selection of tile, carpet, hardwood and laminate. Teresa and Ty bring a level of experience most people don't have. Tys install ... read more - 6/12/2016
- Lisa B.
I want to update my review from 6/22/2015 on Ty Mortenson. He called me after the first of the year, said he read my review and honestly reported tha... read more - 4/05/2016Pam M.
Great place! My husband was doing our floors himself. The owner was the person who helped us; was great with answering all of our questions and explai... read more - 11/12/2015
- Lisa T.
They were professional and once they started the job they kept on it till they were done. They cleaned up well and even reset the clocks on the applia... read more - 7/17/2015
- E M.
Builders Interiors gave me a beautiful kitchen remodel at a great price. We had a couple of glitches here and there, however, they were quickly and p... read more - 9/09/2011
- Linda L.
Ty was prompt in contacting me when I started the process. His installers did a wonderful job, were great in keeping the area cleaned up after the end... read more - 10/14/2010
- Steve O.
Ty and his team did a great job. The schedule wasn't quite what we wanted, but he came through even after hours to meet it the best he could. The work... read more - 9/11/2010
- Carol S.
I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for the incredible service you gave me. The company I called Building Interiors were absolutely inc... read more - 8/16/2010a homeowner
Nice work. Reasonably priced. The only thing I have some concern is that they seem pretty busy juggling jobs. It is good but also can impose some chal... read more - 3/22/2010
Shower Wall Tiling Setup
Tools & Materials You Will Need:
- Electric Screwdriver
- Marble Tile
- Notched Trowel
- Rubber Grout Float
- Safety Glasses
- Sanded Grout
- Sanding Block
- Tape Measure
- Thin-set Mortar
- Tile Nippers
- Unsanded Grout
- Wet Saw
Steps To Retiling Shower Walls
The steps that are in this article.
- Remove the old tile – strip the shower
- Prep the wall – create a base for the tile
- Layer of thinset mortar – 2 coats
- Add Tile
- Finish Tile
- Grout Tile
Tiling Shower Walls, Where To Start
- To start, remove the old tile or fiberglass shower wall. This job is dusty. Use plastic to cover your doorways, wear a respirator that’s rated for dust, cover the floor with a drop cloth, and make sure there’s plenty of ventilation. Tile is heavy, so put down blankets to protect the floors and tub from being damaged by falling pieces.
- Before you begin removing tile, turn off the power to the entire bathroom and any adjacent rooms. If you’re tiling a wall with outlets or wire fixtures, remove those before beginning demolition.
- Only cut the depth of the drywall to prevent cutting plumbing.
How To Retile A Shower
Here we describe the listed steps above.
Remove The Old Tile
- With your hammer and chisel, or crowbar, start removing the tile from the top to the bottom. Use a reciprocating saw to cut nails.
- If there is drywall remove that as well.
- Once the shower wall tile is removed, inspect the condition of the studs. Look for mold and only continue if there is no mold. If there is mold, call a pro to remove it.
Prep The Wall
- It is possible to not damage the backer board while removing the tile, but just plan on having to replace it because it’s very likely that you’ll damage it.
- Install backer board that is the same thickness of any remaining drywall. Any cuts for plumbing should be done outside since the cement board is dusty.
Layer Of Thinset Mortar
- When all of the board is installed use seam tape to tape the joints. Then coat over the tape with thinset mortar. Premixed is fastest and easiest.
- Apply two coats of water-proofing membrane paint over the entire surface you intend to tile, allowing the paint to dry between coats.
- Fill in any holes or gaps with silicone caulk.
- Hopefully the base of the show is even otherwise you’ll have to cut tile.
- Plan your pattern.
- Start the installation with the second row up from the bottom. Draw a line where the bottom of the second row is. Attach a board along the line with the top of the board located where the line is.
- Apply thinset mortar to the cement backer to install the shower wall tile.
- Firmly push the tile into place.
- Remove a single tile to see if the thinset is sticking to the entire tile.
- Remove the guide board and do the bottom row. Leave a ¼ inch expansion gap from the tile and the floor.
- Let thinset dry for 24 hours.
- Tile comes with a recommended grout that will work best with the tile. Use the recommended grout.
- Mix only a little grout.
- Apply the grout. Work the shower wall tile grout into the spaces using a diagonal motion. Use unsanded grout with glass, polished, or metal tile as these scratch easily.
- Wait for grout to dry – about 10 minutes. Wipe away excess with wet sponge without removing grout in the joints.
- Clean tile surfaces. Once grout is dry, clean the tile faces with a grout haze remover. Will likely have to do this multiple times.
- Apply grout sealer. After three days, apply a grout sealer to the grout, and apply a silicone sealant to the corners, edges, and joints.
Cost To Retile A Shower
Average is about $25 per square foot, so 6-8 feet of tile would be around $2000.
Shower Tiling FAQs
Tiling A Shower Floor Or Wall First
Start with the shower wall tile first to prevent damage to the floor tile. If you do the wall tile second, the material will fall onto the tile and you have to walk on it to do the wall.
However, most professionals start with the floor tile first.
What do you put behind tile in a shower?
Behind the tile in a shower there should be the metal backing board and the adhesive.
How do you prepare a shower wall for tile?
Install the backer board being sure to cut holes where necessary for plumbing and fixtures. Tape off the spaces, cover with two coats of waterproof membrane.
Do I need to waterproof shower walls before tiling?
Yes, you need to waterproof your shower walls before tiling if you don’t want to retile the shower all of the time.