Keeping your floors clean is a constant process, and the steps involved are different depending on the material you have, and your goal. That is, whether you want to do a light clean, deep clean, or if you want to remove scratches. Let’s take a look at some popular flooring materials used today, and ways to clean them.
- julia manfredini
Great service, super fast responses with knowledgeable staff that go above and beyond. Flooring selection is extensive and the final product is immacu... read more - 7/02/2020Jane M.
I had a fabulous experience working with Andy and Builders interiors. They worked with me during this crazy Covid time and did the installation in t... read more - 6/05/2020
- Drew B.
Andy is very professional and a pleasure with whom to work. He met every deadline and exceeded my expectations in terms of courtesy and consideration.... read more - 3/22/2020
- Nathan H.
Great experience working with Andy and the crews at Builders Interiors. They did some carpet, flooring and countertops at my new place. Great products... read more - 3/03/2020Will Spencer
Builders Interiors is phenomenal!!!! I used them for both a Kitchen Remodel (backsplash and counters) as well as adding a carpeted running to my stair... read more - 2/27/2020
- Jennifer Williams
Andy with Builders Interiors was referred to us by a local friend. We were looking to give our kitchen and master bathroom a facelift, and were very i... read more - 10/22/2019Stacy Smith
We had damage to our hardwood floors repaired and all of our hardwood floors refinished, as well as having all of the carpets in our house replaced. ... read more - 9/10/2019
- Catherine Chen
I was looking for Boen hardwood floor and I got two quotes, one from Builders Interiors, one from another Seattle dealer. Builder Interiors totally be... read more - 5/12/2019L Swanson
I live in a condo and needed a lot of assistance getting my flooring needs met (think sound issues, specific materials, etc.). Kody was an huge suppo... read more - 5/12/2019
- Kristin B.
The job was done and the carpet looks great. The installer did not clean up any of the carpet remenants before he left so I had to clean up everything... read more - 5/06/2019
- Tanya Huber
Fantastic service, design, selection and execution. All the installers are easy to get along with and do great work. Ty and Teresa are my favorite a... read more - 2/12/2019
- Lina W.
Builders Interiors provides the best customer service anyone can ask for. They were really fast installing and always on time. I had the master bathr... read more - 11/04/2018Sujata S.
Very thorough, punctual, and did a good job working around our constraints. There were some issues with the transitions and they came back and redid t... read more - 7/25/2018
- Field Cady
We had an excellent experience. Jenny was super nice and helpful, and helped us put together a job on a tight time schedule. The result was beautifu... read more - 6/12/2018Elgan Wade Lance
These guys saved our bacon when we ran out of tiles before we’d finished our project. Reeves was a huge help and made it possible for us to pick up ou... read more - 6/12/2018
- Samantha Roland
These guys are the best. Not only smart advice in their showroom, but they were fast, professional and came in at half the price of everyone else. T... read more - 6/12/2018Field Cady
We had an excellent experience. Jenny was super nice and helpful, and helped us put together a job on a tight time schedule. The result was beautifu... read more - 4/11/2018
- Marijana R.
We are more than pleased with excellent customer service and care as well as installation. We had hard wood floors put in and the whole experience was... read more - 10/24/2017
- Drew Bauer
I have been purchased materials and install from builders since they opened. They communicate very well and show up and do a good job as promised. I'm... read more - 7/01/2017
- Cathie B.
I was/am so pleased and impressed with the customer service, scheduling of the measurement and the subsequent installation. My house was going on the ... read more - 11/11/2016
- Jan C.
Andy is very professional and a pleasure with whom to work. He met every deadline and exceeded my expectations in terms of courtesy and consideration.... read more - 9/07/2016
- Oleg Malamura
This place has a huge selection of tile, carpet, hardwood and laminate. Teresa and Ty bring a level of experience most people don't have. Tys install ... read more - 6/12/2016Joy Rowe
These guys came highly recommended by a contractor friend, and we used them to do a carpet purchase and install at our rental house. Their estimate ca... read more - 6/12/2016
- Pam M.
Great place! My husband was doing our floors himself. The owner was the person who helped us; was great with answering all of our questions and explai... read more - 11/12/2015a homeowner
We are preparing our house for sale and needed new carpeting because of pet damage and the age of the old carpet. We didn't want to spend a lot on the... read more - 11/04/2015
- Lisa T.
They were professional and once they started the job they kept on it till they were done. They cleaned up well and even reset the clocks on the applia... read more - 7/17/2015Kim Meyer
Fantastic service, great pricing and diverse product selection. As a Real Estate Agent I love sending my clients to them and know they will be give... read more - 6/12/2015
- April L.
Great price compared to my other estimates. The floors aren't perfect but they are 85 years old so I think they did their best. The workers didn't spe... read more - 8/29/2014
- T P.
I just finished remodeling one bathroom in my house and am just starting the process of selecting materials for our second bathroom. I have been shop... read more - 1/12/2012
- E M.
Builders Interiors gave me a beautiful kitchen remodel at a great price. We had a couple of glitches here and there, however, they were quickly and p... read more - 9/09/2011Nancy W.
5 stars aren't enough. I have been in customer service for over 35 years so I pretty hard to please. Ty at Builders Interiors blew me away. He is the ... read more - 6/15/2011
- Linda L.
Ty was prompt in contacting me when I started the process. His installers did a wonderful job, were great in keeping the area cleaned up after the end... read more - 10/14/2010
- Steve O.
Ty and his team did a great job. The schedule wasn't quite what we wanted, but he came through even after hours to meet it the best he could. The work... read more - 9/11/2010
- a homeowner
Nice work. Reasonably priced. The only thing I have some concern is that they seem pretty busy juggling jobs. It is good but also can impose some chal... read more - 3/22/2010
Luckily for homeowners, tile is quite easy to clean. The grout in tile, however, can be a dirt magnet. So here are some tips for getting tile all cleaned up.
- Daily – sweeping or mopping works excellently
- Stain removal – the key is to act fast and mop up the spill, and then use a detergent solution to clean the area
- Cleaning grout – we recommend vinegar and dish detergent. While vinegar works well for water stains and other hard stains that need to be dissolved, detergent is excellent for tackling grease and dirt.
- Stubborn areas – soak overnight by soaking a tissue in vinegar, and placing it over the area that needs to be cleaned. In the morning, you should be able to moisten and brush away the dirt. You can also apply a baking soda paste and spray some vinegar onto it. Let this sit for a couple hours, and then brush clean.
*Note: For grout cleaning vinegar and detergent work well, but if the tile is Natural Stone then the vinegar may etch the stone, so try not to use it with Natural Stone.
Cleaning Vinyl Plank
When it comes to cleaning vinyl flooring, remember that less is more. Sweeping and vacuuming are enough for day-to-day cleaning, and use a damp cloth to mop up stains. If you need to clean a particular spot for stains or grime, use a mild cleaner that’s designed for vinyl.
If you just can’t get a stain out, you can consider hiding it by placing a rug or table over it, or even replacing the stained planks. These are extreme measures, however, and you shouldn’t have to resort to either if you use the proper cleaning technique.
Cleaning Wood Floors
Wood floors look gorgeous, and add a lovely ambience to your home. Here’s how to clean your hardwood floors, so they look nice and shiny:
- Do some quick cleaning with a vacuum or dust mop every few days
- To remove grime, we recommend getting a wood cleaner. However, you can also use a vinegar solution (vinegar and water in a 10:1 ratio), with a few drops of detergent added in.
- Use a mop to deep-clean the floor. Dry the floor as you go (or mop on a dry, windy day and keep the windows open), because hardwood is susceptible to moisture damage. If you have textured hardwood, you need to be especially vigilant about drying the floors.
- Fix shallow scratches by rubbing a wax crayon on the scratch (choose a color that’s similar to your floor’s), then liquefying it with a blow dryer, and finally removing any excess with a soft rag or tissue.
Cleaning Other Floor Types – Cork, Stone, Laminate
Here are some tips for cleaning other flooring materials:
- Cork: Sweep or vacuum daily to get rid of dust, and mop the floors with water and vinegar once a week. For stubborn stains or dirt, use a cork-floor detergent, and follow the instructions on the label.
- Stone: Never use acid to clean stone, as it can stain the surface permanently. Instead, use soapy water to mop the floors.
- Laminate: Laminate needs to be protected from moisture, so never wet-mop your floors. Sweeping and vacuuming are sufficient, and for stubborn dirt you can use specially made laminate floor cleaners.
- Concrete: Sweep or mop for regular cleaning, and use soapy water for stain removal. If outdoors, the floor can be power-washed.
- Carpet: Vacuum regularly, and spot treat dirty or stained areas. Be gentle and patient.
Using sustainable and eco-friendly cleaning agents is very important, because cleaning is something you do on a daily basis. From disinfecting chopping boards to washing dishes to mopping floors – imagine the difference you’d make if you switched to an eco-friendly cleaning agent!
Vinegar is a great option in this regard. As you’ve seen above, it serves well as a cleaner. It’s a natural substance, it’s cheap, and if you don’t like its smell, you can give it a nice scent with the help of some kitchen scraps!
How To Make Scented Vinegar
- Clean and dry several glass jars
- Collect lemon and/or orange peels, mint leaves, and cloves. You can do this over several days.
- Put the peels and herbs into the glass jars until they’re approximately half full
- Heat some vinegar on the stove until it’s nearly boiling (don’t try to smell it!)
- Pour the hot vinegar into the glass jars, and close them
- Place the jars somewhere and leave them undisturbed for 24-48 hours. After that, open the lid and give the contents a stir.
- Your scented vinegar is now ready! Strain the peels and herbs out, and store the vinegar in a spray bottle or other container.
Builders Interiors is your go-to flooring store in Woodinville, WA. If you have any questions about your floors or need help with installation or repair, give us a call!